Monday, May 3, 2010

The Man Behind Michelle Obama's Red Dress


Prabal Gurung was riding in a cab with two friends heading to a party when he found out that First Lady Michelle Obama stepped out to the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in a red, draped dress designed by Gurung himself.

"I got a text, and an email, and an email, and then emails and I was like, holy cow," Gurung told The Huffington Post. "So I called one of my coworkers and I asked him to go online and check and he started screaming."

Gurung knew Michelle had the gown hanging in her wardrobe but he wasn't sure when she would wear it.

"I was really hoping [she'd wear it to the dinner]," Gurung confessed. "I made it, and I made it the best way I could and I sent it out to her....Red is my favorite color, and I was thinking about her and she's worn different kinds of styles. She's worn strapless. She's worn bigger skirts. The way this matte jersey is draped and hand stitched--and you haven't seen the back part of the gown--is incredibly beautiful. When I was doing it, I thought it would perfectly enhance the type of woman she is. It's modern, not vulgar, very chic, very beautiful."

Read more at the Huffington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment