Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Gov. Patrick Issues State Boycott of Hyatt Over Labor Dispute

By State House News Service | Wednesday, September 23, 2009 | | Local Politics

State employees will stop official business at Hyatt hotels until the company rehires housekeepers it fired last month, under a directive from Gov. Deval Patrick.

Patrick told Hyatt CEO Mark Hoplamazian in a letter sent Tuesday that travel and events under state auspices would cease at the hotels, saying the workers had been treated unfairly, following up on a call to Hoplamazian last week, Patrick’s office said in a press release.

“I am disappointed by your companies unwillingness to reconsider the decision to replace the housekeeping staff with an ‘outsourced’ firm, and give the jobs back to the people who were displaced, Patrick said.

“You tell me that there are sound financial reasons for the company’s decision, and I accept that. But the manner in which these workers were discharged is so inconsistent with both the expressed values of the Hyatt organization and basic fairness that I do not believe any other remedy than full reinstatement is adequate. Barring that, I will direct all state employees not to use Hyatt when traveling or for other purposes for the foreseeable future.”

Hyatt Hotels laid off housekeepers Aug. 31 at the Hyatt Regency Boston, Hyatt Regency Cambridge and Hyatt Harborside Hotel, and hired workers from a Georgia-based firm who are paid less, Patrick’s office said. Hoplamazian said Monday he would not rehire the workers.

Article URL: Boston Herald

No comments:

Post a Comment